Wii Hacks

        

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Wii Maintenance Mode

Has anyone figured out what this does yet?

Hello,

You may be already aware of this, but the Wii has a maintenance mode that can be accessed by pushing the + and - buttons and then pushing A at start up. I just got a reply from Nintendo about an Inquiry. Feel free to post it. Here is the message unedited:

Message(#6851-000631-3638\6313638)

Hello,

At this time, the “Maintenance Mode” you discovered has no functionality for consumers. If at some future point a consumer application for this mode is made available, it will be revealed on our website (www.nintendo.com).

Even though it appears—with the exception of the Wii Message Board—that everything functions normally in this mode, we do not recommend using it at this time.

Sincerely,
Nintendo of America Inc.

14 Comments:

Unknown said...

strange, wonder what it is

Slizer said...

I tested this mode for like 2 hours last night, tried running different things in it, what I noticed was that most games I would sometimes get errors with I didn't. In fact I didn't get any errors while playing in that mode, some games gave black screen but never any Nintendo errors, almost as if it runs souly on one specific piece of hardware?

Unknown said...

Root user perhaps?

James Booker said...

I just wonder whether it's actually a 'debug mode' for the fabeld SDK that never arrived - similar to Microsoft's XNA kit where you can develop software on the PC then launch it to play on XBOX?

Perhaps the maintenance mode will listen for a P development suite? We can only hope!

Anonymous said...

Try exporting purchased titles to an SD card in this mode, certain (specific) segments of the HEX will appear different. I can't share what parts of any files (I'm not a pirate and I don't want Nintendo blocking my console), try it yourself.

Unknown said...

I think it allows you to do somthing Nintendo doesn't want us to do...

Living Stradivarius said...

The maintenance mode might be used in conjunction with a usb device...

Living Stradivarius said...

The mode might have been designed to function in coordination with some USB device nintendo designed for maintenance purposes.

Unknown said...

This is (I think) a mode that the Nintento Tech Support uses when you send your Wii to fix something. I think they are obligated to use it, so they cannot sey your Personal Info.

Check out the Wii Settings, and try to see personal Data, like the Country. It's locked to...


It may be a completely different thing, but here is my thought.

wiiplayer12.com said...

it's just so that if u turn it in for customer support, the clerk cant read any personal information

Unknown said...

i found out that u dont have 2 hit A. u just have 2 hold down + and -.
it really makes u wonder.....

Unknown said...

i think its like recovery mode for psp

Anonymous said...

Recovery mode for PSP is only if you have M33 firmware. And they can still easily view your country by just pressing A on startup.

Unknown said...

I will try this maintenance mode by myself. The instructions are simple and easy to carry out.
Xbox hard drive

Click Here to Post a Comment

Subscribe to the Nintendo Wii Hacks Blog RSS Feed

Also see:
PSP Hacks
PS3 Hacks
Zune Hacks
iPhone Hacks
Apple TV Hacks